Sunday, August 24, 2008

First day anxiety



We're in for the night, after a fun day of seeing where Therese grew up (including her old elementary school) and getting a fantastic dinner in Boulder. (I, of course, brought a guidebook.)

Tonight, I feel like it's the night before the first day of school. Remember that feeling? Sort of checking to make sure you had sharpened pencils in your pencil case? (Or maybe that was just me.) I want to make sure I'm in the right place at the right time. I want to do a good job, and I want to come back with useful information to share with everyone at home. At the very least, I don't want to be the person running after the bus as it belches its way down the street with all the other delegates on board. (I know: this isn't really how it will work, but you get the idea.)

I have a mixed record on first days, sort of like I have a mixed record on school photos (this is not a picture of me to the right, but it has a similar feel, except to my mom, who thought I looked cute throughout). Some years, not so bad. Other years, the pics involved a bolo tie (I was having a 4th-grade Annie Oakley phase) or wearing my sweater backwards (you can see the label if you squint closely). My extended family still has these pics as incriminating evidence.

Then again, with thousands upon thousands of delegates here, it's not about me. I find that comforting. I just have to put my butt in the chair at the right time and do the votes that Obama wants me to do.

It's probably just the excitement of being around all these cool people that has me all wound up.

And speaking of that, I ran into someone I knew from Seattle in Boulder! If you've snagged tickets to the big speech or will be here, drop me a line, would ja? My schedule is pretty packed, but still, it would be great to know you're in town.

P.S. The comment on this post made me laugh out loud. It's worth the click.