Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ReNew Orleans


This Friday is the third anniversary of Katrina.

At the delegation breakfast this morning, New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin stopped by. Now, I know he made mistakes. But mistakes are different than the cold indifference of a flyover or shoe-shopping at Ferragamo while an entire US city suffers.

I live in an earthquake zone. We have Red Cross emergency kits in the trunk of our cars. But if the big one comes, we will need a functional federal government.

P.S. This photo is from Bush celebrating McCain's birthday in Arizona in August 2005 while floods still ravaged New Orleans.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A picture is worth a million words. While I'm still not a huge fan of C. Ray Nagin, most of my issues are with his lack of attention post-K, but in the days after the hurricane he was on fire! Thanks for remembering! I'll have a drink for you on Friday! ~m

Therese said...

M, we're so glad you settled in Seattle.

Anonymous said...

So comforted that this storm and its aftermath (and I am counting the federal government's ineptitude and Brownie's 'shining' moments right alongside the historic flooding)are still top of mind. 3 years on Friday .. it is unbelievable how much work we still need to do there. I too will raise a glass on Friday -- to NoLa, our friend Mary, all those that survived and continue to rebuild that beautiful city, and I will also toast our delegates, the Democratic Party and everyone who has finally put action to the cry "No Way, No How, No McCain".