Wednesday, August 27, 2008

On protesters

Admittedly, I've seen a lot more cops than protesters. In traffic yesterday, I saw a police van with SWAT members in a formation on the OUTSIDE of the van, sort of standing up in line holding on to the sides. It was weird and disturbing.

I wrote the Re-Create 68 folks an email a few weeks back, but never got a reply. I told them I was willing to meet with them, if they wanted.

After all, I'm a sucker for giant puppets of protest. A couple of years ago, Bread & Puppet came to the Bellevue Arts Museum, and I was so excited, because one summer when I lived in Massachusetts, I went to their summer festival. I bought art from the Cheap Art Bus that I still have that says: Become your own hero.

I talked my friend Allen into going to the Bellevue art show with his two daughters, and they were less than thrilled. Giant puppets to them meant something like this, rather than this. I couldn't say I blamed them.

At the delegation breakfast, Dwight was talking about the protesters, and asked all the delegates who participated in WTO protests to raise their hands. Lots of hands went up. Again: change is everywhere here. We have a truly progressive candidate for the first time since I've been alive and aware of what a president was. The fact that all of us who have never done anything like this before are here is the manifestation of that change.

No comments: